Marketers are always trying to find new ways to connect with their customers to get a more relevant message across. Companies have been leveraging popular contemporary trends for a long time now. Moment Marketing seems to be the best way to achieve this customer outreach goal!
Let’s see what Moment Marketing is all about and how e-commerce brands can leverage it for supercharged growth!
What is Moment Marketing?
Moment Marketing is taking advantage of ongoing events and using them to create communications and marketing collateral. This has the power to put brands at the forefront of conversations, making their marketing more relevant.
Moment Marketing is a brand marketing strategy that relies on the tried and tested methods of creating momentary connections with consumers. Traditionally, marketers have always tried to create lasting moments in consumers’ minds when they desire to imprint an image or information about their product.
One classic example of this in the world of e-commerce brands is Coca-Cola.
Coca-Cola has been leveraging popular culture for quite some time now. You will notice Coke advertising campaigns featuring films like Harry Potter, James Bond, Iron Man, and even Spiderman! When these movies release, generally for one week, you can be sure that you will see Coke extensively advertised at the theaters. The idea is that the target customer knows about your brand because of its association with the ongoing ‘big thing,’ i.e., the movie.
Why does Moment Marketing Work?
There are 2 reasons why moment marketing works for retailers. They are;
- With such easy access to news, the customer is already in your business 24/7
- A brand’s goal is to be a part of everyday conversations, and it can accomplish that by jumping on trends like the current climate.
It is astonishing how quickly the public can find and share any piece of content on social media. It takes just a couple of taps/clicks to do so, whether it be identifying a meme or watching a viral video. This is where the power of your e-commerce brand’s association with a universal online trend steps in.
Moment Marketing can help you in these 3 ways
- Being aware of the current events and producing creatives that express a clever take on these happenings can set you apart and have an impact.
- Joining the conversation in this manner can make your brand familiar.
- Moment Marketing allows you to become a part of people’s content feed organically. This can yield great outcomes for your marketing campaign because your message reaches the audience when they are most receptive and willing to interact/absorb new information about something.
Best Moment Marketing Examples to Inspire Your E-Commerce Brand
1. Oreo’s In-the-Moment Campaign
Oreo’s 2013 Super Bowl tweet is regarded as one of the best moment marketing successes in history. The brand popularized its product when it tweeted during a power outage and was retweeted more than 18,000 times within an hour.
2. Netflix’s Humor Moment for India
Brands establish a loyal following by consistently putting out content that reflects their brand’s personality. Netflix exemplifies its wit with humor that is always on-point and can spark spontaneous conversations with its audience. And they never forget to customize the content to suit local tastes, as seen here.
3. General Mills and Pop-Culture Show
Remember when you couldn’t scroll more than a few seconds without stumbling upon a Game of Thrones-related piece of content? Well, brands made good use of the audience’s collective obsession with the show by creating social media posts that were an inside joke, only for the whole of the internet. Riding the pop culture wave is a good way to grab customer attention and build virality into the content.
4. Chipotle Capitalizing on Lovable Memes
Google Trends says that “memes” are more popular than Jesus. Millennials spend over 200 minutes online every day, and we all know that they hate traditional advertising (see Chipotle). Since millennials love memes and find them hilarious, brands can mention their product in a meme to create a casual reference without being overly promotional. Chipotle nailed this with their meme-based promo that was loved by their audience.
Tips to Launch Your Next Successful Moment Marketing Campaign
Moment marketing involves leveraging current events, trends, or cultural moments to engage with your audience and create relevant content. Here are some tips to help you launch a successful moment marketing campaign:
- Stay Relevant: Choose moments that are directly related to your brand, industry, or target audience. The connection between the moment and your brand should feel authentic and seamless.
- Know Your Audience: Understand your target audience’s interests, preferences, and behavior. Tailor your moment marketing content to resonate with them and elicit a strong emotional response.
- Plan Ahead: Identify upcoming events, holidays, or trends that align with your brand values and messaging. Create a content calendar to ensure you’re prepared for relevant moments in advance.
- Be Timely: Timeliness is crucial in moment marketing. Release your content at the right moment to maximize its impact. Monitor trends and news closely so you can react quickly.
- Creative Concept: Develop a creative and innovative concept that captures the essence of the moment while showcasing your brand’s personality. Think outside the box to create content that stands out.
- Consistency: Maintain a consistent brand voice and messaging across all your moment marketing efforts. Your content should feel like a natural extension of your brand identity.
- Multichannel Approach: Distribute your moment marketing content across various channels, including social media, email marketing, website banners, and more. Adapt the content to suit each platform while maintaining a cohesive message.
- Engage and Interact: Encourage audience participation by using interactive elements such as polls, quizzes, challenges, or user-generated content. Engaging your audience enhances their connection with your brand.
- Real-Time Monitoring: Monitor the performance of your moment marketing campaign in real-time. Keep an eye on engagement metrics, social media shares, and audience reactions to gauge the campaign’s effectiveness.
- Stay Sensitive: While it’s important to capitalize on trends, ensure that your moment marketing content is respectful and sensitive to any sensitive or serious events. Avoid exploiting tragedies or controversial topics.
- Utilize Influencers: Collaborate with influencers who align with your brand and have a strong presence within your target audience. Influencers can help amplify your moment marketing campaign’s reach and impact.
Moment marketing is a great way to keep in touch with your audience in a meaningful manner. Riding on the waves of trends can give your e-commerce brand a lovable personality and enhance engagement.
Want to do it right? Try Marketing Automation
Wigzo is a no-code customer data platform with smart marketing automation capabilities for e-commerce growth. Its powerful automation workflows deliver performance-driven personalization across Email, SMS, WhatsApp, On-site, and Push.
Grow your subscribers fast, convert them faster, and retain more customers with better CLTV through 1:1 personalization & engagement. Wigzo allows marketers to leverage customer data for powerful segmentation analytics, campaign management, and agile marketing. Start your FREE trial today!